PE and Sport Premium Funding
The government has announced that it is providing additional funding to improve provision of physical education (PE) and sport in primary schools. This funding – provided jointly by the Departments for Education, Health and Culture, Media and Sport – will be allocated to primary school head teachers. The money must be used to improve the provision of P.E. and school sport.
What does this mean for us at Brunton First School?
As you can imagine we are extremely excited about the sports funding so we have developed an action plan in order to continue to improve and sustain high quality PE and sport provision and raise achievement for all pupils in sport. It will ensure that our pupils benefit from an ongoing legacy of enriched sport, exercise and keeping healthy.
We are therefore delighted to be able to use the sport premium funding to support the development of P.E. and school sport in the following ways.
- Employ a specialist PE teacher across the Gosforth Schools Trust to work alongside teachers in lessons to increase their subject knowledge and confidence in PE
- Develop staff expertise in assessing PE by providing additional training and professional development.
- Evaluate the schools current strengths and weaknesses in PE and sport, and implement a PE and School Sport Action Plan.
- Develop a new scheme of work to enable progression from Reception to Year 4 by using various schemes of works and ‘top’ cards
- Develop young sport leaders in Key Stage 2 through the ‘play leaders’ course
- Assistance of transport costs to competitions and festivals
- Purchase equipment to ensure we can deliver high quality PE to all children school
- Increase participation in after school clubs
Our overall aim is to raise standards in P.E. and school sport, increasing the participation and opportunities offered to our children. We aim to provide higher quality lessons and improved learning for all. We will increase our PE and sport provision to help all pupils develop healthy lifestyles and reach the performance levels they are capable of, as well as provide more after school clubs. We are developing the curriculum and the breadth of sporting teams competing in inter school competitions. We also hope to increase our links within the local community, especially with the new Great Park community centre.